Why do we have an Academy Uniform?
We believe that uniform plays a valuable role in contributing to the positive ethos of our academy, setting an appropriate tone.
- It enables scholars to wear clothes appropriate for working in safe and aspiring environment.
- It clearly signals our high expectation of scholars and our strong work ethic, instilling pride in the school.
- It protects scholars from social pressures to dress in a particular way, nurturing cohesion and promoting good relations between different groups of scholars.
- It helps scholars to prepare for their futures in the world of work, where dress codes are usually expected.
- Our uniform is used to identify us in the local community and the scholars wearing it, reflects the academy motto of ‘Growing a Community of Excellence’.
Our uniform is available from Uniform Direct. Uniform Direct, 54-56 Humberstone Gate, Leicester, LE1 3PJ, 0116 251 1844. Uniform can be purchased from the Uniform Direct website – https://www.uniform-direct.com/acatalog/Castle-Mead-Academy.html
Our Uniform is:
- Navy suit blazer from Uniform Direct
- White shirt/blouse, tucked in at all times
- Grey suit trousers from Uniform Direct
- Castle Mead kilt skirt from Uniform Direct
- Castle Mead tie from Uniform Direct
- School shoes are to be plain black, formal and made of either matt leather or polishable material only. No open toe, heels, pumps, trainers, canvas, boots with fur collar, designer or footwear resembling trainers.
- Scholar ID card
- An outdoor coat is allowed during bad weather. However, this must be removed when arriving for lessons, the assembly hall, in the restaurant and in the library etc. The coat should be in addition to, not instead of, the academy blazer.
These items are also allowed:
- Head scarves or head coverings worn for religious observance must be plain black.
- Plain black tights may be worn under a skirt.
- Jewellery must be small and discreet. Stud earrings and nose piercings only.
- Turbans to be plain black and should be secured with small pins.
- Make up must be minimal and discreet.
These items are not allowed:
- Hooded or zip tops (other than official academy uniform).
- Baseball caps.
- Jogging bottoms, jeans, jeggings or leggings.
- False eyelashes and nail extensions.
All scholars must have the following PE uniform:
- Castle Mead PE polo shirt with logo from Uniform Direct.
- Plain navy bottoms, either,
- navy shorts
- navy skort
- navy leggings; navy cycling shorts (leggings and cycling shorts must be thick sports material, not ones designed for fashion)
- navy tracksuit bottoms
*These items can be purchased from Uniform Direct, but do not have to be. Small, discreet logos are allowed.
- Either navy or white socks
These items are also allowed but are optional:
- PE outdoor 1/4 zip jumper with logo from Uniform Direct
- PE football socks from Uniform Direct
- Sports sun hat