There is a diverse scholar population at Castle Mead Academy. We believe it is very important that all scholars are taught in mainstream lessons following the full curriculum, working alongside their peers in all subjects, whatever their level of English proficiency.
When scholars come directly from overseas they are interviewed and assessed by our Leader of Additional English and their level of English proficiency, abilities and needs are shared with their teachers, in order for them to be supported as effectively as possible. This may take the form of Additional English intervention lesson from the Leader of Additional English and support in lessons to improve their English. This gives scholars every opportunity to develop their English skills and become integrated into the school as quickly and as fully as possible.
The Leader of Additional English at Castle Mead Academy is Mrs B Paw.
Our aim is to:
- Champion the diversity of languages in the school and celebrate the advantages of speaking more than one language;
- Support the integration of all pupils within the mainstream classroom (support and intervention provided by our Leader of Additional English and Inclusion Team);
- Provide support for teachers which enables scholars to access mainstream teaching and learning (resources, strategies, scaffolding etc.);
- Provide extra-curricular support to improve the use of English within the context of the curriculum (development of academic language, Additional English lessons, work at home, parental links);
- Mentor and monitor new arrivals;
- Ensure scholars meet the expectations of the full curriculum and participate fully in all tasks set.