There is a diverse pupil population at Castle Mead Academy. We believe it is very important that all pupils are taught in mainstream lessons following the full curriculum, working alongside their peers in all subjects, whatever their level of English proficiency.
When students come directly from overseas they are interviewed and assessed by our Inclusion Team and their level of English proficiency, abilities and needs are shared with their teachers, in order for them to be supported as effectively as possible. This may take of Additional English intervention lesson from the Inclusion Team and support in lessons improve their English. This gives pupils every opportunity to develop their English skills and become integrated into the school as quickly and as fully as possible.
Our aim is to:
- Champion the diversity of languages in the school and celebrate the advantages of speaking more than one language;
- Support the integration of all pupils within the mainstream classroom (support and intervention provided by our Inclusion Team);
- Provide support for teachers which enables pupils to access mainstream teaching and learning (resources, strategies, scaffolding etc.);
- Provide extra-curricular support to improve the use of English within the context of the curriculum (development of academic language, Additional English lessons, work at home, parental links);
- Mentor and monitor new arrivals;
- Ensure pupils meet the expectations of the full curriculum and participate fully in all tasks set.